Can Zoning Bylaw affect your property value?

Tuesday, June 18, 2019 Written by Emmanuelle in General

A zoning bylaw controls the use of land in your community. It states exactly:

  • How land may be used
  • Where buildings and other structures can be located
  • The types of buildings that are permitted and how they may be used
  • Lot sizes and dimensions, parking requirements, building heights and setbacks from the street.

A zoning bylaw is different from an official plan in many ways. An official plan sets out your municipality’s general policies for future land use. A zoning bylaw puts the plan into effect and provides for its day-to-day administration.

The zoning bylaw has specific requirements that are legally enforceable. When there is construction that does not comply with a zoning bylaw, the municipality will refuse to issue a building permit.

Many municipalities have a comprehensive zoning bylaw that divides the municipality into different land use zones, with detailed maps. The bylaw breaks these zones down into specific permitted uses; examples include commercial and residential zones. The zoning bylaw then goes further to add required standards in each zone. Examples of this would be building size, setbacks from the street, building use and others.
Why should your City have one?

The zoning bylaw provides a legal way of managing land use and future development in a very specific way.

It is meant to separate land uses for the safety and well-being of the public. It also helps create a more functional municipality by clumping common uses and businesses to make areas more symbiotic.
How can you get involved?

If you have concerns about a proposed zoning bylaw or amendment that may affect you, you should:

  • find out as much as possible about the proposed bylaw and how it affects your property
  • go to scheduled information sessions, including open houses and public meetings, to give your opinions
  • discuss the proposal with municipal staff and your ward’s council members
  • Make a written submission and/or a delegation to council regarding the issue.

If you have any concerns, you should make sure that you let council know about them early in the process. Council will then have time to consider your feedback and may request staff to look into the possible changes before the bylaw is passed.
I would suggest, when buying a property and would you have any concern on future developments in that specific neighbourhood, that you should check out the Zoning Bylaw.

Source : Hamilton-Halton Builder’s Association

Blog Categories